The Social Work Department’s Compassionate Corner
CTC Academy’s Social Work department helps to bridge the connection between school, home and community, which in turn helps our students be as successful as possible. As School Social Workers, we help to resolve social, emotional and environmental problems that may be impacting families, as well as helping to strengthen parenting skills and assist in supporting a positive and healthy family structure. We work to accomplish this by providing both direct and indirect services which can include:
- Providing referrals and assisting with applications to appropriate outside agencies such as Performcare, Catastrophic illness in Children’s Relief Fund, DDD, etc.
- Helping to connect families with funding resources and charitable organizations.
- Working with families, individually and/or in groups.
- Offering information and emotional support for the transition period from high school into adulthood including information on Special Needs Trusts, ABLE Accounts, SSI, guardianship and applying to DDD.
Annually, we organize several programs to foster emotional support and relationships within our school-community families. These programs consist of:
- Mom’s Groups
- Parent Groups
- Family Fun Nights
- Sibshops- support groups for siblings
- Parent Information Nights
We hope you find the resources and information below helpful. Feel free to contact your school social worker with any questions.
20 Things Every Parent of Kids with Special Needs Should Hear – By Dr. Darla Clayton, PsyD,
What I Would Tell You – By Julie Keon